4th of July is a fun filled time with lots of fireworks being sold. KVFD wants to help keep you and your family safe this Independence Day.
- If you want to see fireworks safely, the best option is to go to one of the many local public shows available in the area.
- If you choose to use fireworks at home, be aware that there are dangers and statistics that you might not realize.
- Using fireworks at home seems like fun, however, more than 15,000 fires are caused by fireworks each year. Countless injuries also occur due to home fireworks use.
- At least 18% of fireworks related injuries are caused by small firecrackers.
- Sparklers cause 24% of fireworks injuries. They burn hot enough to cause third-degree burns.
- The risk of fireworks injury was highest for young people ages 15-24, followed by children under 10.
- On Independence Day in a typical year, far more U.S. fires are reported than on any other day, and fireworks account for two out of five of those fires, more than any other cause of fires.